Monday, April 25, 2016

Even a broken clock is right twice a day

What is this, do I almost have a streak going?  I just might.

Operating under the premise that I might be a runner (albeit a very bad, very slow, very...not runnery-runner), I'm trying to figure out what it is about the sport that makes me want to keep trying.

I love that running is so accessible.  We all know that we can go bankrupt buying amazing shoes and belts and socks (oh my God, the socks, did you know those are my weakness?) but when you put all of that aside, you can run with some sneaks and a spare 20 minutes.  I love that I can be out getting a workout within 3 minutes of deciding that I want to take a run.  (Hey, a girl has to pee before she heads out, you know?)

I love that running makes me feel powerful.  Maybe it is only for the 45 seconds before my lungs hurt and my heart starts racing.  And maybe I should (definitely?) set up a Dr's appointment to evaluate that, but I love how the act of running makes me feel like I am full of power.  I have strong legs and it is cool to be able to capitalize on that strength to take my body places.

I love the camaraderie.  For the most part, running is a solitary sport, but after getting involved in several running groups over the past year I have NEVER met a group of people who are overall so inclusive, positive, and focused on sharing how much they love the sport with everyone around them.  Where else do you get something like this in what is supposed to be a competitive sport?

And this isn't the only time this has happened when it counts, runners support each other like this all the time.

The vain part of me loves the idea of being able to tell people I'm a runner.  There's not a lot of glamour, but compared to the couch-potatoes and settlers of the world there is a certain healthy image that is generated on your behalf when you tell someone you are a runner.

So every time I don't much want to, or I think it is going to be hard and gross: I sigh, remember this list, grab my shoes, and head for the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment