Sunday, March 25, 2012

Week 2, Day 1 - Movin' on up...

Today I started week two.  No kids this time, but my mom did join me.  I like running on my own, but there is something to be said for a little bit of company to get you motivated.  Since spring break is over and I'll be going back to classes this week, I wanted to try to get the week started on a good note for exercise before I got stuck in classes and excuses and ended up blowing things off.  I've got a little routine down for my "track" that I've been following, it's just about the right length and it's varied enough I am not sick of it yet.


View C25K - W2D1 - 03/25/2012 7:33 PM in a larger map

There was a decided increase in intensity on this run.  I didn't realize that going from 60 seconds to 90 seconds would make such a difference.  I could feel my muscles working much harder, and I got a little more winded on this trip.  I really pushed myself hard to get through the entire set though.  I made it to the end and felt exhausted so I streched a little bit and then sat down.

And that was the worst mistake I could have made.

Clearly, I need to work on my core strength and do some more low-impact activity before I can get serious about running, because I nearly crippled myself.  Once I sat down, my lower back (pelvis/tailbone/etc) completely locked up.  There was a good deal of inflamation and swelling, and I'm feeling like it was probably from the impact/pounding of getting all of my "mass" going on the sidwalk.  It is definitely NOT in my muscles, because no amount of gentle stretching or warm bath is helping.  I guess tonight is a night for a leftover Vicodin and a sick day tomorrow from work.

As far as stats go (using MyTracks):
Time: 32:08
Distance: 1.94 miles
Max speed: 7.36 mph
Avg speed: 3.63 mph

No comments:

Post a Comment